Worst Comic Death?

So I commented about Barda’s death recently and that made me start thinking- who has had the WORST death in comic books.
I must say for years I thought it was Doug Ramesy. I mean I’ll give it to Doug that from the character’s POV- he was being all noble n’ stuff… But I felt it was VERY bad writing and his death was stupid because a) I don’t remember up until that moment any declaration on HIS part that he was HAWT for Wolfsbane, b) more importantly SHE could survive a bullet much easier then him and c) rather then jump IN FRONT of Wolfsbane… I think it would have been much better had he tried to TACKLE Wolfsbane… thus moving her and him out of the line of fire.
To expand a bit more on B- I think his death really hurt me because Doug was like the first mutant with a deuce/spot on the wall power. Doug was the only supporting character in an X-Man title that did NOT have a combat mutant power. And so I was very said at his ‘noble’ but stupid death.
Doug was left in the dust in the past year or two by Steph, Sue and Barda. As I explained to the manager of the game store Steph’s death- as I saw her in a cover ‘triptych’ in this month’s Wizard… I realized that Doug’s death had been left in the dust by the shenanigans Dan Dido/DC has perpetrated on us. So last night I asked the co-worker who brought Barda’s death to my attention- what is the WORST comic death? Now he went on about how obvious WiR Barda’s death was- and how DC MUST have known this… but he pointed out that he’s gay and as such Freedom Ring was the worst death. I had NEVER heard of Freedom Ring so will just link to the wiki of Freedom Ring for you to judge for yourself. I was surprised that Kirkman had written this horror BUT if you read at the bottom- he apologizes for it… whereas while I love Willingham- to the best of my knowledge he stands behind the storyline he wrote which had Dr. Thompkins KILL Steph. My co-worker at the store said that Thomkins killing Steph has been retconned… but HER wiki makes no mention of that.
So I’m left with a tie- Steph or Barda for worst death. Yes I hate Sue’s death and will never forgive DC for her death- the manipulation (OH! She was pregnant) and the stupidity of it (There’s no way that Jean could’ve done what she did)… but to me Barda’s death is worse because the writer copied many of the elements of Sue’s death…even after DC should’ve known better AND for a WARRIOR to die off camera ( IN HER ARMOR) is just insulting. Had they switched genders and have had Miracle die in the kitchen… I would’ve have been peeved- but NOT pissed.
What say you? Who has had the worst death in comics?
And if you want to add your FAVORITE death that would be cool too- but by FAVORITE- I mean the most well written death- NOT “I’m really glad that they killed X in such a horrid fashion because I hated X with the passion of a 1,000 suns”.
My favorite death- and I’m pretty sure Evan is going to disagree… is Barry. I really felt Barry went out in style and grace (saving the f’ing universes). Right now I feel I have to read more of his silver age goodness… but I have to say that the last two years of his title was crap. While I started reading Barry around the time they killed Iris- while buying ‘current’ issues and back issues- I realized that Barry was best with Iris and had gone downhill from there. So I was happy that they put the series out of it’s misery (really two years for the trial of Barry)… and happier still that they did it with STYLE and GRACE that I feel are lacking in current comics. Also Barry’s death has lead to a wonderful legacy with both Wally and Bart. I don’t see either Wally or Bart to have been written so well had Barry been left alive. But that’s me.
Again What say YOU?
Oh and on the Barry Front- I recently read New Frontier and while I'm not sure it was GREAT, it was DARN GOOD and filled with a lot of Barry Silver Age Goodness(tm) that again makes me want to re-read alot of my cool Barry comics.


2 Comments:
At 11/13/2007 01:42:00 AM,
Unknown said…
I think I'll need some time on the worst death; it's a hard one (and while I agree Steph and Sue's were awful, and haven't read Barda's yet, I'm actually leaning towards Collossus'--except for his being back from the dead nixes it a bit). I think Doug's death was LAME but heroic, and I didn't see elements of "Rahne is hawt" in it at all, just "Rahne is my good friend and I'm loyal to my friends--enough that I'd put my own life on the line for them even though I have a non-com power).
Anyway,
I'll give you Barry, and never expected a different answer from you. MY best death (as in best written, not Best as in they finally killed Jean Grey again, huzzah) is far and away the death of Ted Knight in Starman.
And the above paragraph reminds me of what was the WORST death for me: Madeline Pryor's.
At 11/13/2007 04:36:00 PM,
Drew said…
Yeah *blush* I know I've told you before that I liked Barry's death....
Will have to re-read Ted's death as both you and Adj came up with him.
And to me- Madeline would have to be in a different catorgory like Bart- Bart's Death didn't affect me because well he had already been 'destroyed' as a character by Johns... And I think that's what happened with Madeline- she was destroyed by being made a clone of Jean... Though I will grant you her death was a stupid- let's wrap this up so that scott can be back with JEAN HIS OTP.
Bleh
I'd say more but I'm on a time limit at the library....
Post a Comment
<< Home