Updating...
Ok- once again I want to TRY to promise to update here more often.
I'm gonna TRY to promise to blog this summer on Sundays- as I can't get to the gym on Sunday so have the morning all to myself....
As I'm trying to get BACK into the habit of blogging, I'll start with updating my reading list. I'm going to TRY and post tonight as well- but we'll see.... FB calls me wayyyy too much sometimes.
Book 7- Fair Game by Valerie Plame Wilson. Right off the bat, I was amused by the amount of redaction; two chapter titles were redacted. Also the Publisher’s Note at the beginning states that while the years Valerie Plame Wilson worked for the CIA might be in the public domain, the CIA would NOT let Ms. Wilson mention them- so they had someone ELSE write an afterword.. The writer of the afterword, Laura Rozen, was able to mention anything that was in ‘public domain’.
So it was a bit hard for me to figure out how to read the book- so that I read the afterword that properly explained the chapters that I had just read- but were edited. Such as I read the second chapter which was called XXX Tour and then when I looked at the Afterword I found out it was Athens Tour- and that Valerie Plame Wilson had served in Athens, but wasn’t allowed to MENTION that.
I normally don’t read biographies and I can’t remember the last autobiography I read… but I found Valerie Plame Wilson’s story interesting. I will admit I was amused by the redactions, but I was moved by her story. That Ms. Wilson dedicated her life to the service of her country and had her livelihood (which was helping to find out who was trying to get WMDs) jeopardized because people who have NEVER put their lives ‘in harm’s way’ wanted to protect their ‘credibility’.
I also learnt that a) oddly she didn’t lose her job at the CIA, and ended up quitting AFTER the 2004 election and b) that the Wilson’s civil suit has been thrown out of court.
Book 8- Lost Daughters by J.M. Redmann. This is the 4th book in the Micky Knight series.. and the last one. It was written in 1999, so it looks like this is the last book in the series… I also think it’s the last one because of the thematic end. In the first book, Micky is so damaged and you wish so much for her to find happiness. In Lost Daughters, Micky ends up putting all the demons of her past to rest. I’m prolly said too much… but I loved the series, and am happy in the way Redmann ended it.
Book 9- Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison. This is the latest book in Kim Harrison’s Rachel Morgan Supernatural thriller series. I’ve often found myself comparing this series to the Dresden series by Butcher even though I think they are vastly different. The big difference is I feel that the Butcher series has much more of a dark noir feel to it. They both deal with a world of witches, warlocks, demons and vampires… but Butcher’s series has everything underground and darker…. While Harrison has most of the supernaturals living out in the open with humans.
I thought this book was a good addition to the series. While Harrison introduced some stuff TOTALLY out of left field, I felt the stuff ‘fit’ well enough not to ‘break’ the world view or for me to call shenanigans on Harrison( like I feel calling on many current comic book writers). I like this series a lot.
Book 10- From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris. I often feel that this (Sookie Stackhouse) series is wish fulfillment as it’s written by a female writer about a female character and the main character has MANY ATTRACTIVE male admirers.
I like the Sookie… not enough to BUY the series but enough to borrow each book when they come out in hardcover from the library.
This book was a quick read- I read it in about 3 days- though to be fair, one of those days I got up at like 4 am and figured I’d rather read this then watch MORE mindless TV.
Book 11- Small Favor by Jim Butcher. While I like the Butcher Dresden series much more then the Sookie series; I felt with both the sense that these were ‘series’ books. With Harrison, I felt that there was a beginning, middle and end to the story- even though the story was part of a larger story( aka the Rachel Morgan series) but with Dresden and Sookie, they felt like the Two Towers movie- there wasn’t a beginning or end to the story- they were just setting up the end… somewhere down the line. I know I expected that in both books, but at the same time I’m getting a little tired with Butcher- he has a ‘war’ going on off screen for several books- and I’d like that plotline to be resolved… SOON.
I should mention between finishing Lost Daughters and starting Outlaw Demon Wails I started Don Quixote. I haven’t finished it yet, and so far have put it down several times, due to the fact that I’ve borrowed books 9, 10 and 11 from the library- so there was a certain amount of time I had to read those books.
I'm gonna TRY to promise to blog this summer on Sundays- as I can't get to the gym on Sunday so have the morning all to myself....
As I'm trying to get BACK into the habit of blogging, I'll start with updating my reading list. I'm going to TRY and post tonight as well- but we'll see.... FB calls me wayyyy too much sometimes.
Book 7- Fair Game by Valerie Plame Wilson. Right off the bat, I was amused by the amount of redaction; two chapter titles were redacted. Also the Publisher’s Note at the beginning states that while the years Valerie Plame Wilson worked for the CIA might be in the public domain, the CIA would NOT let Ms. Wilson mention them- so they had someone ELSE write an afterword.. The writer of the afterword, Laura Rozen, was able to mention anything that was in ‘public domain’.
So it was a bit hard for me to figure out how to read the book- so that I read the afterword that properly explained the chapters that I had just read- but were edited. Such as I read the second chapter which was called XXX Tour and then when I looked at the Afterword I found out it was Athens Tour- and that Valerie Plame Wilson had served in Athens, but wasn’t allowed to MENTION that.
I normally don’t read biographies and I can’t remember the last autobiography I read… but I found Valerie Plame Wilson’s story interesting. I will admit I was amused by the redactions, but I was moved by her story. That Ms. Wilson dedicated her life to the service of her country and had her livelihood (which was helping to find out who was trying to get WMDs) jeopardized because people who have NEVER put their lives ‘in harm’s way’ wanted to protect their ‘credibility’.
I also learnt that a) oddly she didn’t lose her job at the CIA, and ended up quitting AFTER the 2004 election and b) that the Wilson’s civil suit has been thrown out of court.
Book 8- Lost Daughters by J.M. Redmann. This is the 4th book in the Micky Knight series.. and the last one. It was written in 1999, so it looks like this is the last book in the series… I also think it’s the last one because of the thematic end. In the first book, Micky is so damaged and you wish so much for her to find happiness. In Lost Daughters, Micky ends up putting all the demons of her past to rest. I’m prolly said too much… but I loved the series, and am happy in the way Redmann ended it.
Book 9- Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison. This is the latest book in Kim Harrison’s Rachel Morgan Supernatural thriller series. I’ve often found myself comparing this series to the Dresden series by Butcher even though I think they are vastly different. The big difference is I feel that the Butcher series has much more of a dark noir feel to it. They both deal with a world of witches, warlocks, demons and vampires… but Butcher’s series has everything underground and darker…. While Harrison has most of the supernaturals living out in the open with humans.
I thought this book was a good addition to the series. While Harrison introduced some stuff TOTALLY out of left field, I felt the stuff ‘fit’ well enough not to ‘break’ the world view or for me to call shenanigans on Harrison( like I feel calling on many current comic book writers). I like this series a lot.
Book 10- From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris. I often feel that this (Sookie Stackhouse) series is wish fulfillment as it’s written by a female writer about a female character and the main character has MANY ATTRACTIVE male admirers.
I like the Sookie… not enough to BUY the series but enough to borrow each book when they come out in hardcover from the library.
This book was a quick read- I read it in about 3 days- though to be fair, one of those days I got up at like 4 am and figured I’d rather read this then watch MORE mindless TV.
Book 11- Small Favor by Jim Butcher. While I like the Butcher Dresden series much more then the Sookie series; I felt with both the sense that these were ‘series’ books. With Harrison, I felt that there was a beginning, middle and end to the story- even though the story was part of a larger story( aka the Rachel Morgan series) but with Dresden and Sookie, they felt like the Two Towers movie- there wasn’t a beginning or end to the story- they were just setting up the end… somewhere down the line. I know I expected that in both books, but at the same time I’m getting a little tired with Butcher- he has a ‘war’ going on off screen for several books- and I’d like that plotline to be resolved… SOON.
I should mention between finishing Lost Daughters and starting Outlaw Demon Wails I started Don Quixote. I haven’t finished it yet, and so far have put it down several times, due to the fact that I’ve borrowed books 9, 10 and 11 from the library- so there was a certain amount of time I had to read those books.
Labels: 50 book challenge


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home