Messages in Bottles

Saturday, December 04, 2004

Shaka Khan-aka

I talked to my step brother for the first time about religion, his father is Jewish and his mother was quasi Christian, and during our conversation he asked me if *I* believed in the miracle of Hannuka... I shrugged and pointed out that the 'miracle' happens almost every day- the miracle of Hannuka is the fact that your tank gauge says empty but you're able to drive 8 miles more and get to a gas station before your car TOTALLY stalls.

As said I have trouble putting my faith in a higher enity... HOWEVER what gets me is the '100 million miracles'. '100 million miracles' is from Flower Drum Song, a potentially racist musical that I find amusing... The song points out all the little miracles that happen every day. The miracles of life, the miracles of beauty, all the wonderful things.

Right now I'm not into the beauty of my life, but I have cleaned up my menaurah and bought my Hannuka candles. I told my step brother Alex that *TO ME* Hannuka isn't about the miracle of oil or the ensuing military victory of the MIGHTY MACABEES( actually forgot to mention to him the Macabees) but the fact that it's winter and one might light the candles to keep HOPE alive( as did the Macabees)- it's a celebration of lights during the darkest time of year.

I think that's the good part of religion, giving people hope. Convincing them to keep on keeping on because something better is coming down the pile.

And the food. ;-) Really that's one of the things I miss most about not REALLY celebrating Hannuka with my mom- not getting her to make me homemade fresh potato pancakes... she doesn't like making them but I *LOVE* eating them.

(note: I just want to add thought it was a nice touch that EA has a menorah to download for Sims 2)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home