Messages in Bottles

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Carpet Name Dropping

The other day I was at the game store and Mike( the manager, friend for 15 odd years) offered me a magazine- asking me if I wanted to read about the overexposed celeb on the cover. I asked him if I told him I knew the celeb... He said nope. I told him that I didn't have any real stories... as said celeb wasn't a child friendly famous person and I would see them on X-mas. Basically towards the end of my father's 2nd marriage, we would take a break from the extended Harris clan Christmas and glad handle some of his, and his second wife's, authors and co workers who lived in driving distance. This minor celeb worked with my dad and so we visited them... However as they are not a child friendly celeb... I really didn't care... I wanted to get back to the presents I had gotten from my extended clan or go home to get more presents/ play with my presents.
It's like imagine being 14 years old and meeting Alan Greenspan. You don't want to get into a discussion on why he should RAISE minimum wage for the good of the poor- you want your toys or to call you friends and compare what crap you/they got.
Mike said that I should make up a story about said celeb to spice things up a bit.

My father and his second wife were high level publishers and so got to meet many famous people and authors. I got to met a few of them myself. Also in my father's apartment building was a somewhat famous artist and a family of actors. Heck in a book that I want to get on bookfinder, there's a picture of me, my family and one of the actors. I have a couple of stories of famous people in me but I try to contain myself.

See I still remember as a freshman in college, name dropping to impress a girl. Turns out she wasn't connected to the same culture as I was so she wasn't all that impressed, however a male mutual friend was duly impressed. So I after that I realized that a) it's sorta important to keep your audience mind and b) just name dropping isn't enough to impress a chick. I also learnt that once I start, it's hard for me to stop- I'm like, well if that doesn't impress you- what about ???
Worse though is the realization that I'm trying to impress them not by what *I've* done or what my friends( Mike was published) have done, but by the fact that due to my parents I got to meet some cool people.
Heck, there have been a couple of people who when I met them I was just in awe and didn't say anything because I thought it was sooo cool that *I* was in their presence.

Heck, I realized when I published Social Blogger that I don't think I've told evan in the 6 or so years I've talked to him... that I worked at DC and Marvel. I got both jobs because of my father's connections. He made that clear to me as NEITHER re hired me after the summers I spent at each. He pointed out to me that I couldn't get a job at either by myself and that I should give up the comic thing. Even though those jobs were in undergrad, and I've had a bunch of jobs since then... DC and Marvel are still on my resume because 4 out of 5 times, interviews end up asking me what it was like to work at them---- and I'm smart enough not to tell them that my dad got me those jobs... and that DC was more fun then Marvel. Then again, I don't tell them that I goofed off a bit at DC to read from their comic library, and I often regret it because maybe if I had done the best job possible- they'd ask me back.

I'm happy to have met some of the people I've met thru my parents... and I have a couple of good stories about them, but most of the people I was either just in awe of or couldn't care less and just brought up in college in hopes of impressing people. NOW I'm not interested in impressing people- and I hate name droppers, so I don't share my stories... Mike's just known me long enough so he's heard my posturing.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home