Messages in Bottles

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Comedy Teams

So the other day I told a internet friend( adj) that I learnt in college never to date a woman who not HEARD of Abbott and Costello. They didn't have to LOVE A&C like I did, but they at least had to know who they were.
This is because I tried to date a girl who hadn't heard of Abbott and Costello, and it turned out that while she had a good body we didn't have enough in common to have conversations where I was not explaining to her about the BIG world around her( she had grown up in Vermont and said I was the first Jew she met).

Talking to adj she referred to Abbott and Costello and the Marx Brothers as OLD comedy teams, which made me wonder about comedy teams from the LATER part of the 20th century.

Well of course there's Cheech and Chong- that gets us into color and the 70's. My friends ruled out Jay and Silent Bob because Bob is the director... and I was inclined to agree with them- as in Chasing Amy, Bob is clearly there to explain EVERYTHING.
Likewise I don't think Trey Parker and Matt Stone are a comedy team but were a pretty good writing team.
John Cho and Kal Penn( Harold and Kumar) could be a duo to watch if they make a sequel or another movie together.

And I almost forgot the comedy teams of the 60's- Monty Python and the Carol Burnett team. Also from the 60's were Rowlan and Martian and the Smother Brothers comedy duos. Martin( a different one) and Lewis were in the 50's- old but not AS old as Abbott and Costello.

I might've missed a couple but I was glad to realize that the comedy teams weren't AS dead as I thought they were... yes I think with the blockbuster mentality of 'we NEED a big name!' and the current reality programming trend, there's not a lot of chances for new teams.... and with the death of vaudeville( I've heard that the Marx Brothers were much better before their film career) it's hard for teams to hone their skills... most comedians are from the Stand Up of the 90's and used to doing their own stuff. Heck even the Redneck tour was just a bunch of southern comedians packaged together( like the Kings of Comedies).

However as long as there are funny people- they're gonna need another funny person around them or they'll find a straight man/woman that just clicks for them and so there WILL be comedy teams of the 21st century, just not as many as the 30's, or 50's or 60's.

[please post any comedy teams I might've forgotten]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home