Fast Food Fun
Last month I let Caroline ask me 3 questions 'bout me and SHE asked me what I liked eating at Freindly's. Now I responded that I don't get to Freindly's at all... but it made me want to blog about FOOD.
Food, Glorious, Food.
Or Fast Food joints to be exact.
In Boston we have what I consider the big 3- McDeath, Burger Thing and Wendy's. We also have quizno's, subway and a d'anglo or two( sandwich chains). I know of two malls and they both have a couple of mall chains( Panda Express, The Big Easy, and S'abbros). There is a LONE KFC( combined with Taco Hell) in Porter Square but that's a bit of a trek.... And almost forgot to mention the fact that there are indeed two Freindly's in the greater Boston region.
I am aware that there are OTHER chains- we just don't have them here. For instance growing up, I'd go to Jersey for day camp and there'd be Jack in the Box. Now I had not seen Jack in the Box since my early days so I thought they were long gone til about 2001 when I went to Ca. for a library convention. Not only was there a Jack in the Box but they also had DC toys for their happy meals. Likewise in Ca. I was introduced( for one meal) to Carl's... which seemed like a generic burger joint.
I *miss* Nathan's hot dogs- which I think is pretty much a Northeast chain, though I haven't seen it outside of NYC since the 2 stores up here went out of business. I *love* Nathan's because while I don't eat their hot dogs they have the BEST fries bar none( big crinkle cut).
I also miss/ love Popeyes. There used to be 3 in the greater Boston area and 3 that I knew about in Manhattan. There is now only one in NYC. If I give it up to Nathan's for having the best fries... I feel that Popeyes has the best chicken fingers/tenders. They are in a more traditional batter then the bread crumbs of mc death's and wendy's chicken nuggets. I also feel that Popeyes has the best barbecue sauce and currently make a habit of eating there when I go back to NYC.
What amazes me is that I see all these commercials for Long John Silvers and Red Lobster and we have none. I guess since Boston has high priced GOOD fish places like Legal Seafoods we don't get the cheap stuff... Which I find sad as I'd love to try Long John Silvers. I'm currently enjoying the spicy fish sandwich at Burger Thing but fear it'll disappear after Lent- Wendy's only sells their fish sandwich during Lent and fear that Burger Thing is making the fish sandwich better just for lent as well.
We also have a couple of mid-priced liquor serving chains- besides Legal Sea Foods there's Applebee's, pizzeria Uno, Cheesecake Factory( best of the bunch), and Chili's but I rarely go to them and the only one I really want to go to more is Cheesecake Factory as you get really good portions for the money and the cheesecake is YUMMY!
Food, Glorious, Food.
Or Fast Food joints to be exact.
In Boston we have what I consider the big 3- McDeath, Burger Thing and Wendy's. We also have quizno's, subway and a d'anglo or two( sandwich chains). I know of two malls and they both have a couple of mall chains( Panda Express, The Big Easy, and S'abbros). There is a LONE KFC( combined with Taco Hell) in Porter Square but that's a bit of a trek.... And almost forgot to mention the fact that there are indeed two Freindly's in the greater Boston region.
I am aware that there are OTHER chains- we just don't have them here. For instance growing up, I'd go to Jersey for day camp and there'd be Jack in the Box. Now I had not seen Jack in the Box since my early days so I thought they were long gone til about 2001 when I went to Ca. for a library convention. Not only was there a Jack in the Box but they also had DC toys for their happy meals. Likewise in Ca. I was introduced( for one meal) to Carl's... which seemed like a generic burger joint.
I *miss* Nathan's hot dogs- which I think is pretty much a Northeast chain, though I haven't seen it outside of NYC since the 2 stores up here went out of business. I *love* Nathan's because while I don't eat their hot dogs they have the BEST fries bar none( big crinkle cut).
I also miss/ love Popeyes. There used to be 3 in the greater Boston area and 3 that I knew about in Manhattan. There is now only one in NYC. If I give it up to Nathan's for having the best fries... I feel that Popeyes has the best chicken fingers/tenders. They are in a more traditional batter then the bread crumbs of mc death's and wendy's chicken nuggets. I also feel that Popeyes has the best barbecue sauce and currently make a habit of eating there when I go back to NYC.
What amazes me is that I see all these commercials for Long John Silvers and Red Lobster and we have none. I guess since Boston has high priced GOOD fish places like Legal Seafoods we don't get the cheap stuff... Which I find sad as I'd love to try Long John Silvers. I'm currently enjoying the spicy fish sandwich at Burger Thing but fear it'll disappear after Lent- Wendy's only sells their fish sandwich during Lent and fear that Burger Thing is making the fish sandwich better just for lent as well.
We also have a couple of mid-priced liquor serving chains- besides Legal Sea Foods there's Applebee's, pizzeria Uno, Cheesecake Factory( best of the bunch), and Chili's but I rarely go to them and the only one I really want to go to more is Cheesecake Factory as you get really good portions for the money and the cheesecake is YUMMY!


2 Comments:
At 3/19/2005 02:10:00 PM,
Anonymous said…
I think I know this girl of whom you speak, and I have to say, your first mistake was listening to her at all hahahahahahahahaha-nevah heed!!
but this looks like a good place to start-so I would have to say that when I mentioned friendly's, it was an inside boston joke-we don't have them here and I was always amazed at the ice-cream joints per capita in massachusetts-who would think they would be into such things? though I know it gets hot there too hehehehehehehehehe-and I did enjoy friendly's, liked the atmosphere-kinda 50's diner-ish
stop talking about spicy chicks from wnedy's, drew, you are making me hungry!! yum yum!! luffed "mc death & burger thing" hahahahahahahahahaha-mickey d's mantra: parts is parts, their fries are passable-but you wouldn't speak so highly about the burger thing if you had worked there-and I still like their chicken sandwich anyway (technically that isn't that hard to mess up)
why would y'all need seafood shantys when you can boast much better stuff? I often see signs that say "real boston seafood"-I don't like fish but I do like new england clam chowder, so I can give you a vote there-never did find a decent pizza place though;-D
- carolyn
At 3/20/2005 08:01:00 PM,
Drew said…
Sorry I didn't see your comment earlier. *shrug*
And sorrier that I misspelt your name. won't happen again ;-)
Yeah- a freind of mine from Ca. finds it funny when on a coldish day I have an ice cream cone... Aren't Ben and Jerry from the cold Northeast? ;-)
and yeah had a freind work at Taco Hell and she will never eat there again. I think in fact that it says alot that I see Wendy workers EATING at wendy's.
Though gotta mention there was a great Wonder Woman story in the 90's where she worked at Taco Hell... and was of course bright and chipper about it.
I can't eat McDeath fries because I don't eat red meat. See they *USED* to cook it in tallow( beef fat)... I fact in the past few years they settled with a bunch of vegans and buddists( to whom the cow is sacred) because of cooking the fries in beef.
As for the better- well Legal Seafood also costs MORE... You get what you pay for, and sometimes I'd prefer decent seafood at a decent price than great seafood for big bucks.
As for NE Clam Chowder... now that you mention it there is a Chowdah chain near me. However I must admit that it took me a few years to get into NE clam chowder, I still *miss* my New York Clam Chowder.
And pizza LoL- I always see signs that say "New York Style" pizza. I however think pizza is more of a personal choice then other fast foods as there seems to be lots of different styles. There is however a place near me that does indeed have pizza like I grew up with... nice big slices with a decent crust on them.
Post a Comment
<< Home