Leader of the Pass
Ok... I was bummed when I got to my mom's house in Conn. because I was the only one who showed up on Friday. That means I got her and her complaints all to myself. I was further told that I would be the ONLY one to be spending Saturday night there as well- as my brother and sister and HER family were just going to show up for Passover and then drive home. This bummed me as I really wanted to spend more time with my sis, her husband and kid then my mom and step dad.
Friday was also crappy in it's weather but Saturday was crappier... I had to talk my mom to go the library to copy more haggadas.
And now we pause to explain to the goyem Passover celebration ;-) Basically it's a meal 'service'. Family and friends sit around the table with a script( the haggada) and read the story of Passover. Much of the food is symbolic; like horseradish for the bitterness of slavery. Different families have different haggadas based on their temple, family( as ours gotten by my grandfather), and level of religious belief... sure that the Orthodox Jews have bigger haggadas.
We often joked that the service went faster when my grandfather was hungry.
Anyway we made copies and my mom told ME that I was to lead the service. She mentioned that my stepfather didn't want to do it nor did she. I was VERY happy that she turned to me for this, but mumbled/asked her why she didn't ask my brother. Well she didn't... and as we sat... She had the Master/ original haggada giving the rest of us copies of parts of it and told me to 'lead'.
I felt that she sort of lead by proxy... as she made sure I knew when SHE felt that others should read( at our house everyone participates) and let me know what SHE wanted to skip.
I tried to keep the reigns and kick stuff to different people. Didn't help that I didn't know the name of my mom's friend. I also dug in on at least one section.
My brother noticed that I did skip a line about how wonderful Israel is and called me on it. I pointed out that I didn't really follow current events in Israel, but since I don't blindly follow MY leaders, how can I support another country just because they have the same religion as me?
I thought it didn't go all that well because my mom kept giving me 'instructions' but I got a call on Sunday night from my older brother complimenting me on it and wanting me to do it 'for a while'...
That made me feel a lot better. Even though I don't get along with my brother, I appreciate his praise.
And I sorta liked doing the service even though I think my mom is a control freak.
Friday was also crappy in it's weather but Saturday was crappier... I had to talk my mom to go the library to copy more haggadas.
And now we pause to explain to the goyem Passover celebration ;-) Basically it's a meal 'service'. Family and friends sit around the table with a script( the haggada) and read the story of Passover. Much of the food is symbolic; like horseradish for the bitterness of slavery. Different families have different haggadas based on their temple, family( as ours gotten by my grandfather), and level of religious belief... sure that the Orthodox Jews have bigger haggadas.
We often joked that the service went faster when my grandfather was hungry.
Anyway we made copies and my mom told ME that I was to lead the service. She mentioned that my stepfather didn't want to do it nor did she. I was VERY happy that she turned to me for this, but mumbled/asked her why she didn't ask my brother. Well she didn't... and as we sat... She had the Master/ original haggada giving the rest of us copies of parts of it and told me to 'lead'.
I felt that she sort of lead by proxy... as she made sure I knew when SHE felt that others should read( at our house everyone participates) and let me know what SHE wanted to skip.
I tried to keep the reigns and kick stuff to different people. Didn't help that I didn't know the name of my mom's friend. I also dug in on at least one section.
My brother noticed that I did skip a line about how wonderful Israel is and called me on it. I pointed out that I didn't really follow current events in Israel, but since I don't blindly follow MY leaders, how can I support another country just because they have the same religion as me?
I thought it didn't go all that well because my mom kept giving me 'instructions' but I got a call on Sunday night from my older brother complimenting me on it and wanting me to do it 'for a while'...
That made me feel a lot better. Even though I don't get along with my brother, I appreciate his praise.
And I sorta liked doing the service even though I think my mom is a control freak.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home