Messages in Bottles

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Unconditional

My brother and father have often used the phrase 'unconditional love' in conversation. My older brother wanted kids because they would give him unconditional love and my father keeps telling me that he love me unconditionally.

Well I don't think that's quite right. I mean the condition for my dad's love is that I am his son... if I wasn't his son, odds are he wouldn't love me.

Likewise since I don't love my parents unconditionally- sometimes I downright hate them... there's no guarantee that my brother's "kid" would love him unconditionally.

I know that Evan loves his son Lash and I assume that Lash loves him back... However I think that this is not because they are father and son but Lash loves his father because Evan is a good dad and has EARNED his love, and vica versa.

I've read news reports of parents killing their kids and kids killing their parents.... Maybe I'm a little jaded but I don't believe love is unconditional.

And I'm not sure I want it unconditional. I want someone to love me for ME. I don't want them to love me because I exist, but because I do good things or I'm funny or I'm SOMETHING.

I hope the above makes sense... and if it don't- call me on it.

1 Comments:

  • At 4/24/2005 03:04:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I agree about this. Love isn't unconditional. I don't think I loved Aeia until she was older and started developing a personality.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home