Real Life- The online Comic
Ok... I haven't really blogged reviews for the web comics I read- though I have a couple of links on the side... However part of that is because I started reading the comics before this blog.... but that's different now I started reading Real Life...
What attracted to me to the comic was the art style. See PvP is part of the Daily Grind Contest( as is Gray Stone Inn, another web comic I like) and while checking the 'challenge' I saw the pic of the artist of Real Life and was drawn to his comic.
I'm not up to date but I have in the past couple of days, I've managed to read about a year's worth of his comics. They are FUN-NEE! Now I'm a comic book geek, with a dash of RPG geek... these characters are computer geeks but I still understand their thinking from reading many computer games mags and LAUGH.
The joke that made me feel I had to write about it was when one of the characters camped for the mailman. He ordered rings so he could make armor- then came to a brilliant mmog(massive multiplayer online gaming) idea. The mailbox 'spawns' treasures. Basically in online games, players go to sites and 'camp' waiting for treasure to appear... as once the treasure is taken the server 'respawns' the treasure x amount of time later... so the character reasons the mailbox will 'spawn' the stuff he mailed away for. I thought this was brilliant- as just from the Sims 2 boards I surf I see people wishing the world was like their games. The writer built on this joke for 3 to 4 days and even though I don't play Ultima Online or Everquest... I thought it was DARN funny.
I also wanted to recommend this strip because I find it funny that the characters every so often show that they are self aware--- they KNOW they are in a comic book strip. It's in fact funny when one character reminds another that they don't need to go to work or something because 'they're a comic'. Likewise the 'writer' appears as a disembodied voice every so often. I think the best joke of self awareness... was when they went camping in the spring and one of the characters complained he was STILL wearing winter clothes... So all three characters get new clothes over the course of a couple of days as the writer draws out what each one's spring wear is. Of course this leads to another 'running gag' about the fact that they ALL have their hands in their pockets 90% of the time, because the artist doesn't like drawing hands.
Real Life- the online comic is darn funny. go read.
What attracted to me to the comic was the art style. See PvP is part of the Daily Grind Contest( as is Gray Stone Inn, another web comic I like) and while checking the 'challenge' I saw the pic of the artist of Real Life and was drawn to his comic.
I'm not up to date but I have in the past couple of days, I've managed to read about a year's worth of his comics. They are FUN-NEE! Now I'm a comic book geek, with a dash of RPG geek... these characters are computer geeks but I still understand their thinking from reading many computer games mags and LAUGH.
The joke that made me feel I had to write about it was when one of the characters camped for the mailman. He ordered rings so he could make armor- then came to a brilliant mmog(massive multiplayer online gaming) idea. The mailbox 'spawns' treasures. Basically in online games, players go to sites and 'camp' waiting for treasure to appear... as once the treasure is taken the server 'respawns' the treasure x amount of time later... so the character reasons the mailbox will 'spawn' the stuff he mailed away for. I thought this was brilliant- as just from the Sims 2 boards I surf I see people wishing the world was like their games. The writer built on this joke for 3 to 4 days and even though I don't play Ultima Online or Everquest... I thought it was DARN funny.
I also wanted to recommend this strip because I find it funny that the characters every so often show that they are self aware--- they KNOW they are in a comic book strip. It's in fact funny when one character reminds another that they don't need to go to work or something because 'they're a comic'. Likewise the 'writer' appears as a disembodied voice every so often. I think the best joke of self awareness... was when they went camping in the spring and one of the characters complained he was STILL wearing winter clothes... So all three characters get new clothes over the course of a couple of days as the writer draws out what each one's spring wear is. Of course this leads to another 'running gag' about the fact that they ALL have their hands in their pockets 90% of the time, because the artist doesn't like drawing hands.
Real Life- the online comic is darn funny. go read.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home