Messages in Bottles

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Rebates

I wish to impart unto you all words of wisdom, gleaned from many hours of retail work.

If there's a rebate on an item, make SURE you mail it in. ASAP.

See companies are betting that you're going to forget. That you'll see the $10 mail in rebate, buy the item and then forget about it. See if they REALLY wanted to give you $10 off- they'd just mark it down... but they don't because they figure that if they offer a rebate a bunch of people will buy it for the rebate and then forget about it.

I mention this because I wanted to get an update on Norton systemworks. My edition will 'expire' in may and I figured since I was at best buy, I'd check their prices. They had a $30 upgrader rebate from Norton, IF I already had Norton. Good. But for some reason I walked the 200 Ft. or so to Staples to see if they had a better price or rebate. This was NOT the same Staples as where I worked.... There's no way I'm going there. I do know the Ass't Manager there as he worked in Harvard, he's the one in fact who suggest I get a physical copy of System Works- pointing out it would be cheaper and then I'd have the physical back up in case of problems. Anyway- Staples has it's own $40 mail in rebate if I buy Systemswork AND Norton's firewall together, as well as the $30 upgrader rebate from Norton. So if I got in from Staples and sent in BOTH rebates- I'd get Norton's Systemswork and Firewall for FREE.
Now I will admit I thought about it for a moment or two because I didn't want to give Staples money- but a) THEY'D be giving me more then 1/2 of it back and b) if I bought it from them... Well as said it would be free to me and it's hard to argue with free.

So when I got home, I looked at both rebates- saw what I'd need to mail in for both and prepared my Staples rebate. I put the barcode from the box, the rebate receipt and rebate form in an envelop. I then had dinner, filled out the rebate form, addressed and then sealed the envelop. I intend to send the Staples rebate tomorrow as there is NO WAY I want them having my money.
For Norton, I have to get a cd mailer- as I have to send them a copy of my previous version, so I'll do that tomorrow and send it off Monday- I still want to send it out sooner rather then later but don't feel the need like I do with the Staples rebate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home