Plastic Joy, Part Deux
So I get up, watch the horror that is krypto( more on that perhaps later) and get myself eventually out the door to the game store.
At the store was the guy who scored me KC Flash... He now deserves to be named, and his name is Kevin. Kevin has bought one of the 4 packs of clix the store has... He shows me a couple... intentionally building things up to a BLUE bagged fig. For the uninitiated, heroclix are kept in place in the package by plastic molded widgets- the current color scheme is clear and white for common/uncommon( forgot which is the lower color- I think it's clear), blue for the uniques and yellow for the LEs--- with flyers being bagged so that the figure remains with the base.
So I *knew* he got a unique... and was a flutter with what it was... While I hoped he had gotten Red Robin for himself...I still was giddy. And for good reason as he showed me Ares. Now I feel even though he doesn't play the game, that every time he opens a figure that I feel is good- I tell him a bit about the figure. So I tell him that Ares is good because he has the mystics team ability like Demon. That he kicks more than a little @$$ and that I want him. I ask him point blank what he wants for Ares as I have *no clue* what Ares is worth. While he's on my top 5 of uniques in this set I want( KC Flash, Ultraman, Oracle, Ares), I haven't checked him on ebay.
He then made me make sure I learnt his name- by GIVING me the figure- gratis. I was floored and happy. I repeated that I'd be willing to pay if he wanted, meanwhile my fears of this guy shaking me down while buying HC disappeared in a puff a smoke.
He was firm...
Then I got 1 of the other boosters... told him that I had an auction up for Ultraman and a couple of LEs on Ebay. I told him I was getting the booster to check out the whole grouping... that where there was one unique there was often 2. I got nothing and then did a trash run for the manager as I was in a good mood. When I got back Kevin decided to open/buy the other two boosters. I was on the fence about how much of a discount to give him... If my manager wasn't there I'd've given him MY discount as I was pretty sure now I'd get the figures but since Mike( the manager) was- I just gave him a 5%, friend of the store discount. He then opened them and showed me another blue bagged figure... He did a big build up as to what it was... which since I had done the trash and talked about other stuff with him- I blew... I guess because again I was hoping he'd get HIS figure. He however got Ultraman, which is more obvious as I mentioned it here a couple of lines ago ;-)
Now I first ask him if he wants it- because it is a SWEET figure from a comic book story *I* love and think others should as well. Kevin says it's cool and mine... and then proceeds to offer to buy us all lunch. SWEET!
As he's gonna game for a bit, I come home- check to make sure Blogger is working as it wasn't last night FOR ME. And I checked my Ebay auction. Now it's currently at my limit... and I thought briefly of retracting my last bid... but I haven't done that because I figure, it's not kosher to retract bids as that possibly scares off other bidder. PLUS I did a bit a math and realized that my bid is ok... I could just put MY ultraman up on ebay- get back for that figure and have 3 LEs that I want( I want the Superwoman LE more then I want many of the other Uniques). I then thank the niceness of Kevin again... as they wait for me before ordering lunch.
So I talk to Mike after he leaves and tell him that I gave Kevin the 5%, but if it's ok with him I'd like to give kevin MY discount when he buys Heroclix... as they sorta end up in my pocket... Mike didn't have a problem with that, as he's seen Kevin give me his figs and understand my point besides Kevin made a good impression on him...
So I got two more pieces of plastic joy... And if I win the auction today, I'll get 3 more pieces of plastic joy( though the auction will cost me more then free). Since Kevin has been good to me... I've decided to try and be good to kevin and have a starting mid bid on a Red Robin, which if I win( 5 days off) it'll be a gift from me to him.
Oh and to be good to kevin- here's a link to his ebay auctions. I feel fine about linking to his auctions as he has a feedback of 100% good stuff.
Update- Just checked on the Ultraman auction...( as it ended while I blogged) I won with my last bid which was a mere 29 cents more then the previous bidder. A bit surprised but a bit happy as I now will be getting the LEs of Superwoman, Wildfire and Persuder... and will put the Ultraman I have in my house up for auction tomorrow or sunday.
At the store was the guy who scored me KC Flash... He now deserves to be named, and his name is Kevin. Kevin has bought one of the 4 packs of clix the store has... He shows me a couple... intentionally building things up to a BLUE bagged fig. For the uninitiated, heroclix are kept in place in the package by plastic molded widgets- the current color scheme is clear and white for common/uncommon( forgot which is the lower color- I think it's clear), blue for the uniques and yellow for the LEs--- with flyers being bagged so that the figure remains with the base.
So I *knew* he got a unique... and was a flutter with what it was... While I hoped he had gotten Red Robin for himself...I still was giddy. And for good reason as he showed me Ares. Now I feel even though he doesn't play the game, that every time he opens a figure that I feel is good- I tell him a bit about the figure. So I tell him that Ares is good because he has the mystics team ability like Demon. That he kicks more than a little @$$ and that I want him. I ask him point blank what he wants for Ares as I have *no clue* what Ares is worth. While he's on my top 5 of uniques in this set I want( KC Flash, Ultraman, Oracle, Ares), I haven't checked him on ebay.
He then made me make sure I learnt his name- by GIVING me the figure- gratis. I was floored and happy. I repeated that I'd be willing to pay if he wanted, meanwhile my fears of this guy shaking me down while buying HC disappeared in a puff a smoke.
He was firm...
Then I got 1 of the other boosters... told him that I had an auction up for Ultraman and a couple of LEs on Ebay. I told him I was getting the booster to check out the whole grouping... that where there was one unique there was often 2. I got nothing and then did a trash run for the manager as I was in a good mood. When I got back Kevin decided to open/buy the other two boosters. I was on the fence about how much of a discount to give him... If my manager wasn't there I'd've given him MY discount as I was pretty sure now I'd get the figures but since Mike( the manager) was- I just gave him a 5%, friend of the store discount. He then opened them and showed me another blue bagged figure... He did a big build up as to what it was... which since I had done the trash and talked about other stuff with him- I blew... I guess because again I was hoping he'd get HIS figure. He however got Ultraman, which is more obvious as I mentioned it here a couple of lines ago ;-)
Now I first ask him if he wants it- because it is a SWEET figure from a comic book story *I* love and think others should as well. Kevin says it's cool and mine... and then proceeds to offer to buy us all lunch. SWEET!
As he's gonna game for a bit, I come home- check to make sure Blogger is working as it wasn't last night FOR ME. And I checked my Ebay auction. Now it's currently at my limit... and I thought briefly of retracting my last bid... but I haven't done that because I figure, it's not kosher to retract bids as that possibly scares off other bidder. PLUS I did a bit a math and realized that my bid is ok... I could just put MY ultraman up on ebay- get back for that figure and have 3 LEs that I want( I want the Superwoman LE more then I want many of the other Uniques). I then thank the niceness of Kevin again... as they wait for me before ordering lunch.
So I talk to Mike after he leaves and tell him that I gave Kevin the 5%, but if it's ok with him I'd like to give kevin MY discount when he buys Heroclix... as they sorta end up in my pocket... Mike didn't have a problem with that, as he's seen Kevin give me his figs and understand my point besides Kevin made a good impression on him...
So I got two more pieces of plastic joy... And if I win the auction today, I'll get 3 more pieces of plastic joy( though the auction will cost me more then free). Since Kevin has been good to me... I've decided to try and be good to kevin and have a starting mid bid on a Red Robin, which if I win( 5 days off) it'll be a gift from me to him.
Oh and to be good to kevin- here's a link to his ebay auctions. I feel fine about linking to his auctions as he has a feedback of 100% good stuff.
Update- Just checked on the Ultraman auction...( as it ended while I blogged) I won with my last bid which was a mere 29 cents more then the previous bidder. A bit surprised but a bit happy as I now will be getting the LEs of Superwoman, Wildfire and Persuder... and will put the Ultraman I have in my house up for auction tomorrow or sunday.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home