Free ..... With Purchase
There were two hard learned lessons when I was a kid.
The first was "batteries NOT included" I remember learning that lesson well. I was into the Micronauts and there was this BIG special toy Biotron, which looked OH SO COOL when I saw it on TV... So I saved up my allowance and babysitting money to buy it, but it was NOT as cool as the ads because batteries were NOT included. This crushed me... the toy wasn't half as cool without batteries.
The other lesson was toy in cereal. See the toys you want are RARELY in the cereal I want to eat. I remember begging for a box of fruity pebbles because it had a toy I wanted. I forgot what toy Fred was shilling, I just know I had NO INTENTION of eating the cereal I had begged for the toy for the toy INCLUDED with purchase. While I don't remember the toy I remember this lesson as I was forced to eat the NASTY cereal( how Fred can be associated with this is beyond me).
I mention these stories because I saw an ad on TV for light saber spoons WITH PURCHASE of cereal. Even though I hate Lucas and feels he should be giving EVERYONE free Star Wars crap for sitting through Episode I, I felt a feeling rise in me as I saw this commercial. The feeling was of course "IT MUST BE MINE!'
So I took a bag of soda bottles with me to the supermarket and recycled them for money for cereal. I usually don't eat cereal these days but... the Light Spoon MUST BE MINE! The commercial mentioned Apple Jacks as part of the program. I love Apple Jacks. I would gladly eat Apple Jacks for a glowing spoon.
SPOON!
sadly the Apple Jacks came with a lame concentration game on the back, if I wanted MY light saber spoon I was going to have to buy a BIG HUGE box of corn pops. I like corn pops or at least I can eat them... so I bought the box.
But as I went up to the counter to trade the slips of paper( showing how many bottles I had recycled) I couldn't help but think... that of course the light saber spoon wasn't in Grape Nuts- which I both like and is good for me. Nor was it in Cap't Crunch( which I love). No, it was in a cereal which I would NOT have bought otherwise. Heck I would've rather given the supermarket a buck for just the spoon instead of buying the box of cereal.
So to 'pay' for this... I will be eating corn pops for dinner.
But it's a nifty spoon. And it's red.
The first was "batteries NOT included" I remember learning that lesson well. I was into the Micronauts and there was this BIG special toy Biotron, which looked OH SO COOL when I saw it on TV... So I saved up my allowance and babysitting money to buy it, but it was NOT as cool as the ads because batteries were NOT included. This crushed me... the toy wasn't half as cool without batteries.
The other lesson was toy in cereal. See the toys you want are RARELY in the cereal I want to eat. I remember begging for a box of fruity pebbles because it had a toy I wanted. I forgot what toy Fred was shilling, I just know I had NO INTENTION of eating the cereal I had begged for the toy for the toy INCLUDED with purchase. While I don't remember the toy I remember this lesson as I was forced to eat the NASTY cereal( how Fred can be associated with this is beyond me).
I mention these stories because I saw an ad on TV for light saber spoons WITH PURCHASE of cereal. Even though I hate Lucas and feels he should be giving EVERYONE free Star Wars crap for sitting through Episode I, I felt a feeling rise in me as I saw this commercial. The feeling was of course "IT MUST BE MINE!'
So I took a bag of soda bottles with me to the supermarket and recycled them for money for cereal. I usually don't eat cereal these days but... the Light Spoon MUST BE MINE! The commercial mentioned Apple Jacks as part of the program. I love Apple Jacks. I would gladly eat Apple Jacks for a glowing spoon.
SPOON!
sadly the Apple Jacks came with a lame concentration game on the back, if I wanted MY light saber spoon I was going to have to buy a BIG HUGE box of corn pops. I like corn pops or at least I can eat them... so I bought the box.
But as I went up to the counter to trade the slips of paper( showing how many bottles I had recycled) I couldn't help but think... that of course the light saber spoon wasn't in Grape Nuts- which I both like and is good for me. Nor was it in Cap't Crunch( which I love). No, it was in a cereal which I would NOT have bought otherwise. Heck I would've rather given the supermarket a buck for just the spoon instead of buying the box of cereal.
So to 'pay' for this... I will be eating corn pops for dinner.
But it's a nifty spoon. And it's red.


2 Comments:
At 5/11/2005 02:35:00 AM,
Unknown said…
Ooh, you got a Vader spoon
At 5/11/2005 09:30:00 PM,
Drew said…
Thanx... but just saying since I bought the cereal, I should eat the stuff. It's not just being a little strapped for cash, but not wasting food. So I wouldn't've wanted you to buy FIVE boxes of cereals if you weren't gonna eat them on the off chance of getting a spoon, ESP. I *knew* that I would get a spoon in the cereal- a 1 to 1 ratio. I didn't know I'd get the LOVELY vader spoon... I could've gotten the blue or green... but I knew the box had a spoon.
Though sorta gotta ask does your freind NORMALLY eat Sultana Bran, or like me did he wander astray for the Jedi Light Spoon.
And it's because they FAILED to tell you it needed batteries... See had it told me that, I would've waited a week or two to buy til I had the money for the batteries as WELL. So the next week was downcast, as I couldn't play with the toy as well as the commerical til I got the batteries.
Maybe that's why Small Soldiers is one of my favorite movies- because Leary has the toys come with lithium batteries!
Post a Comment
<< Home