Office Politics
God, how I hate office politics. I really wish that people were simple, no backdoor dealings, no hidden agendas.
I have a manager that I like and three ass’t managers that I don’t. As I have a habit of giving people nicknames… Not to protect their identity or anything but because it’s easier for storytelling; like calling my Staples supervisor the cow instead of Joanne. I haven’t really settled on the 3 ass’t managers but so far we have- the ditz, the anal retentive and the fat one. I hate to call the last one simply fat… but I have to differentiate her from the anal retentive one. It seems that after manager A. left, they made the fat one manager for the store for awhile. This didn’t work out so they got another manager… the one I like, and who hired me.
The problem is that the fat one still works there… and seems to be pissed. She still wants to do things HER way, even though she’s not manager. I know of at least one time that she went around the manager to ‘get things done’.
This week during remodeling, as things are getting harder- the manager felt he had to come in every day this week; for fear that she’d do something that he didn’t like.
How this is affecting me NOW. I wanted to leave work early tonight because I’m a bit tired… and I have to meet my trainer tonight. I wanted to eat BEFORE I met with the trainer as otherwise I’d have to eat at about 8:30/9pm. I finished at the Main Store about 5:15, and talked to the manager, who I like. I told him I was tired and would be able to work at the New store for about 15 min. and then I’d like to go early. He said fine, and in fact gave me permission to leave at 5:15. While I was getting ready to clock out, a co worker suggested I ‘get ready’ before clocking out to milk my time. I told her I saw her point- as I was leaving 45 min. early… Which the fat manager heard…. She basically told me to go upstairs and see if someone needed help. I didn’t tell her that I had been given permission to leave… as I had decided I wanted another 15 min or so of money. So I went upstairs and told the Anal Retentive that I’d help her for 15 min. That Mike( the good manager) had given me permission to leave early but I didn’t want to leave TOO early. I helped her for about 15 min and then left. I got my coat and got ready- to drag down the clock as suggested by co-worker… However the fat ass’t manager was there and when she saw I was leaving asked me if there wasn’t any MORE work for me upstairs. I told her this time that the manager had said that I could leave early. I know she wasn’t happy with letting me leave early, as she felt there was sooo much work. But I don’t care what she thinks. I also get mad at her because one day this week I asked her to move so I could clock in… She mentioned that I still had another 3 min before I was scheduled. I wasn’t happy about that as I was there to WORK. I was there to work, and I don’t want to just hang around waiting.
So again- good manager let me leave early. Bad ass’t manager won’t let me leave early OR let me come in early.
I really wish they transfer her. Esp. as the manager just let me know that he’s being woo’d by Brookstones to come back to work for them.
I have a manager that I like and three ass’t managers that I don’t. As I have a habit of giving people nicknames… Not to protect their identity or anything but because it’s easier for storytelling; like calling my Staples supervisor the cow instead of Joanne. I haven’t really settled on the 3 ass’t managers but so far we have- the ditz, the anal retentive and the fat one. I hate to call the last one simply fat… but I have to differentiate her from the anal retentive one. It seems that after manager A. left, they made the fat one manager for the store for awhile. This didn’t work out so they got another manager… the one I like, and who hired me.
The problem is that the fat one still works there… and seems to be pissed. She still wants to do things HER way, even though she’s not manager. I know of at least one time that she went around the manager to ‘get things done’.
This week during remodeling, as things are getting harder- the manager felt he had to come in every day this week; for fear that she’d do something that he didn’t like.
How this is affecting me NOW. I wanted to leave work early tonight because I’m a bit tired… and I have to meet my trainer tonight. I wanted to eat BEFORE I met with the trainer as otherwise I’d have to eat at about 8:30/9pm. I finished at the Main Store about 5:15, and talked to the manager, who I like. I told him I was tired and would be able to work at the New store for about 15 min. and then I’d like to go early. He said fine, and in fact gave me permission to leave at 5:15. While I was getting ready to clock out, a co worker suggested I ‘get ready’ before clocking out to milk my time. I told her I saw her point- as I was leaving 45 min. early… Which the fat manager heard…. She basically told me to go upstairs and see if someone needed help. I didn’t tell her that I had been given permission to leave… as I had decided I wanted another 15 min or so of money. So I went upstairs and told the Anal Retentive that I’d help her for 15 min. That Mike( the good manager) had given me permission to leave early but I didn’t want to leave TOO early. I helped her for about 15 min and then left. I got my coat and got ready- to drag down the clock as suggested by co-worker… However the fat ass’t manager was there and when she saw I was leaving asked me if there wasn’t any MORE work for me upstairs. I told her this time that the manager had said that I could leave early. I know she wasn’t happy with letting me leave early, as she felt there was sooo much work. But I don’t care what she thinks. I also get mad at her because one day this week I asked her to move so I could clock in… She mentioned that I still had another 3 min before I was scheduled. I wasn’t happy about that as I was there to WORK. I was there to work, and I don’t want to just hang around waiting.
So again- good manager let me leave early. Bad ass’t manager won’t let me leave early OR let me come in early.
I really wish they transfer her. Esp. as the manager just let me know that he’s being woo’d by Brookstones to come back to work for them.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home