Messages in Bottles

Friday, May 04, 2007

Irony Factor

So last night I decided I wanted to watch one of the dvds from Netflix on my computer- because I can't watch it on my TV (see last post...) and I get an 'error' message. It seems that the disc was copy protected. I'm like WTF!> And it turns out several disks that I tried to play in my computer dvd rom... won't play because they are COPY PROTECTED... so like the companies are worried that I'm going to copy these disks or something?
AND- the disks that DO play, somehow the sound isn't there. I've tried both the windows media player and real player. I've even made sure that like my sound works on other stuff- like my music match.

So I'm well and truely F'd as far as my netflix stuff goes. My only option seems to be to borrow the portable dvd player from the game store. And I say this because the portable dvd player has it's own TINY screen. Not happy that I'm going from a BIG screen multi media center to a tiny portable dvd player but that's my life.

HOWEVER- here's the irony factor- Not only did I check the netflix dvds for the copy protection... but I checked one of MY disks. My disk didn't play either, so I decided to futz arround and see if I could back up MY disk( which is legal sorta..) and even though I couldn't PLAY the dvd on the computer- I could indeed back it up. And the back up seemed to be fine( though like the standard disks... the computer wouldn't play the audio.) Likewise the show I downloaded from the nets... Life on Mars a britcom not availible here in USA- I was able to hear the audio track of that.

Oh and to prove what crap I have to deal with. I put the back up in my xbox 360. I figured the picture would look for crap but I'd be able to find out if the audio track was working- as it wasn't working on the computer... and the PICTURE looked fine. So not sure what to do.... after several days of crap picture my tv now is fine. Not sure if that's because it was off for like two days or what... just know that when I turned on the xbox360... things were fine... so I don't know if I'm coming or going right now.

Almost forgot another little irony. Not having to do with my tv per say. I went on Amazon and did a lookie loo at the 'dvd deals' and I found that Game Over was on dvd.
Game Over was a 2004 tv show that lasted LESS then a season about what happens AFTER vid games to the characters. Now on the one hand, I put this show on my Netflix list post haste- as don't want to buy it but want to give it another look.
However the reason I think this is ironic is because this show gets on DVD but DARIA... who lasted FIVE seasons is still NOT out on DVD- and doesn't show ANY signs of coming out on dvd.
[ And btw one of the few slash couples that I could TOTALLY see as cannon is Daria/Jane. Would say more about them but I think Evan knows what I'm talking about.]

2 Comments:

  • At 5/05/2007 01:02:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I dunno enough about computers to be of much help there--you still have sound for other applications, yes? Maybe it's the settings on the computer's dvd player. Have you tried opening the dvds with a different media player than the comp's dvd player? VLC Media Player works best for me when all else is failing.

    Will they work in your ps2?

    BTW, Life on Mars plays here on BBC America. It's one of Chrissy's favorite shows.

     
  • At 5/06/2007 08:49:00 AM, Blogger Drew said…

    yes sounds for other apps...

    And VLC? Your PHYSICAL letter assumes that I know what that is... but you know what happens when you assume.
    Please email me and let me know more about that. As I did not hear about it until yesterday.

    And the ps 2 is connected to the tv( actually it's connected to the vcr which is connected TO the tv) so any problems I would have with the xbox360 I would also have with the ps2- if not more so as the 360 is connected DIRECTLY to the tv while they ps2 is connected to the vcr which I think is a tad on the crappy side.

    Lastly- did NOT know that about Life on Mars. again I plan to ACTUALLY watch it monday/ tuesday, as I've heard good things about it but haven't actually had the chance to sit down and watch it after downloading it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home