Messages in Bottles

Friday, March 25, 2005

Lower Expectations

Well I have an interview TOMORROW. It was suppose to be today but someone called in sick so the manager wouldn't have time today.
Now at first I was bummed because I WANT the interview. I WANT a job... I sorta want this job in fact( working at Nextel selling phones).
BUT I actually think this is a good sign as it shows that he NEEDS dependable people and I am a dependable person. Heck when I first spoke to him I pointed out that I live a couple of blocks away so I might be available to come in early if need be or work on days off to cover for others.

I'm just sort of shaking my head because of my desire for this job. It's gonna be another crap job. Worse since there's a commission involved, it's gonna be a mid pressured sales job like brookstone. So the only fulfillment it'll give me is the wallet....

... However at this point in time $ is a good motivation. To be able to buy stuff and perhaps go somewhere on vacation would be swell. I really would like to travel- to go to Ca. and visit Evan or go to Amsterdam... to go somewhere and have fun NEW experiences and if that means a semi crap job so be it.

At least Nextel will pay better then Staples... and that's without the sales commission. One of the reasons I was so unhappy at Brookstone was not only was I just selling crap but I was selling crap I couldn't afford. I'd justify my weekly salary with two good sales there.

2 Comments:

  • At 3/25/2005 08:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    evan or amsterdam? unique tastes, drew hehehehehehehehehehe-I can't really think of anything I would ever want that badly to sit through another job where you want to hang yourself, not ever to presume that there are any such jobs where that is not that case;-D and on commission? oy gevalt-I'm sure that will be a slice of heaven-all of which you know, you dependable guy you-you go-getters are quite sickening, really....enough of a pep talk for you? you sure;-D okay then, good luck, drew, may all your little nextel dreams come true!!

    - carolyn

     
  • At 3/27/2005 09:14:00 AM, Blogger Drew said…

    LOL.. I try to be a complicated man. Besides I think evan mentioned that Chico was the Amsterdam of Ca. ;-)
    Seriously I want to go to amsterdam to experience new stuff and check out an interesting city- BUT on the other hand, I rate high on the list of things that make me happy- drinking with freinds and playing games with same... and after all these years of chatting with evan, I'd love to met his brood- play a couple of games and then take him out for a pint or two( living his kids with his co-parent ;-) )

    And yeah as I posted Saterday( didn't see this comment til after the interview) I realized during the interview that the crap wouldn't be worth the money...

    But that's my problem- I can't get my ideal job( which is still working a library info desk) so I'm trying to find a job which balences the crap with my salery. That was my problem with Staples- I was taking far too much crap for my salery.

    And I think one of my flubs during the interview was admitting I don't UPsell I downsell. Which is to say I don't go for the jugular and try to get fleece the customer... basically I told him at Brookstone, I learnt if they don't want the $250 massager- to try and sell them the $50 one. I felt it was better to get a little money then none, and a way to deal with objections is to find something cheaper.
    I'm dependable but I'm not really a go getter... that's why I want out of retail. I'm not big on the hard sell I much prefer selling something that the customer wants. Helping them to be happy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home