Messages in Bottles

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Silence= Death

I've been trying recently not to duplicate myself here and goodmourningamerica BUT that said I just posted there "They came for" there and I feel it should be posted here as well. It's important to me not just because I'm Jewish but because when this country was being formed a wise man( Ben Franklin) pointed out "We must all hang together or assuredly we will all hang separately".


First They Came for the Jews

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller- 1945


Why deny others rights that you'd like. We can't say- 'because I'm a guy I'm willing to vote for a pro-life candidate.'... or 'because I'm straight, I don't care if gays can get married'. Or worse 'since I'm a straight guy- *I* don't want to get married so I don't care about other people getting married.'
Separate but Equal isn't.

2 Comments:

  • At 3/20/2005 05:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well said;-D not sure how prudent is to base a vote on any one position because they all flip-flop when the pressure is on and usually youhave to choose between which cause they support you are more down for (i.e. they are for that +/but they are against that -) I always liked that poem, but it is very sad

    - carolyn

     
  • At 3/21/2005 10:20:00 AM, Blogger Drew said…

    Yeah... I know it's sad but I really *felt* on some level it needs to be remembered in Bush's America that we should ALL stand together.

    And you're right a) about voting for just ONE policy and b) the fact that politicans flip flop.

    For a) Well I didn't like alot of places Kerry stood. I didn't like it that we didn't have a PRO gay marriage canidate- we had an ANTI gay rights canidate( W.) and a Seperate but Equal canidate( Kerry was also against gay marriages but FOR civil unions). I just feel we as a people NEED more parties so we have a better sampling and can vote for a canidate we like and not the lesser of two evils. I voted for Kerry because he was more moderate then W. but I really would've prefered to vote for someone like Dean.
    I posted the poem because I'm tired of settling. I don't want to vote for a canidate that doesn't believe in basic human rights- which I think what gay marriage is.

    b) Mitt promised *before* he got into the corner office here that he wasn't ANTI gay, sorta like Chaney did in 2000, as he didn't really expect the judical decision of the Goodall case. However once the judges ruled... Mitt couldn't spin fast enough. In fact we here in Ma. are getting a little tired of Mitt as he's sooo busy trying to get the Oval Office in 2008 that he's neglected his governorship. Heck there have been a couple of times that he's gonna traveling to slam Ma. in front of other republicans.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home