Next-don't
Had my interview with Nextel...
If *I* was the manager I wouldn't hire me... and hope they don't hire me as I'm not sure I could turn them down.
The reason I wouldn't hire me if I was him.... He mentioned a gal wanted Thursday and Friday off ALWAYS. His manager didn't want her to have that and offered her SUNDAY off instead. I pointed out not sure what I'd think about that, as while I like Sundays off- I like the time and 1/2.
He looked at me and pointed out that NEXTEL doesn't pay Sunday time and 1/2.
I pointed out that it was the LAW here in MA. That I had worked for numerous retail joints and they ALL paid me time and 1/2 for Sunday. I even went so far as to point out that Staples Inc. wouldn't've paid me time and 1/2 unless they had to.
He pointed out that to the best of his knowledge, there was no such law and that they don't pay overtime in any of their Ma. stores.
I repeated that there were laws and that I hope they wouldn't hold that against me when I proved him wrong.
I felt this was two strikes against them. First that the company is trying illegally to not pay Sunday o.t. . The second strike was the fact that he couldn't promise me a regular day off- blaming his boss. Most of the time when I've brought this up it got nowhere near a deal breaker , usually the reply was 'we can work that out.'
Third strike was he mentioned SEVERAL times he mentioned policies that he PERSONALLY didn't seem to agree with but that his boss made him enforce. I felt this showed little backbone in his part and that he'd be pretty likely to rat me out. This included not only NOT promising me a regular day off but the reason that we didn't have seats. He mentioned HE would have no problems with us having seats but that his boss does, and if WE were caught with the seats... the regional boss would right us up and if the regional saw us with the seat AND the manager he'd also write up the manager. I felt this was showing the manager values his own skin above all else. I can understand his thinking that- but I don't think he should be telling me that in an interview.
Forth strike was the fact that he would want me to sign something about meeting quotas. He mentioned that the quotas were unreasonable and NO ONE met the store goals HOWEVER not meeting the goals could be a fireable offense. He then pointed out that since nobody was making goal... so long as I was on par with the others I was ok. HOWEVER he felt he had to mention that at some time in the future- if THEY were all making goal, and I wasn't- that would be grounds to fire me.
I think it's really odd that a couple of days ago I wanted this job and now I fear I'll get it. I think it's a) I need/want money and the salary sounded good for retail b) I didn't know how scummy Nextel was.
If *I* was the manager I wouldn't hire me... and hope they don't hire me as I'm not sure I could turn them down.
The reason I wouldn't hire me if I was him.... He mentioned a gal wanted Thursday and Friday off ALWAYS. His manager didn't want her to have that and offered her SUNDAY off instead. I pointed out not sure what I'd think about that, as while I like Sundays off- I like the time and 1/2.
He looked at me and pointed out that NEXTEL doesn't pay Sunday time and 1/2.
I pointed out that it was the LAW here in MA. That I had worked for numerous retail joints and they ALL paid me time and 1/2 for Sunday. I even went so far as to point out that Staples Inc. wouldn't've paid me time and 1/2 unless they had to.
He pointed out that to the best of his knowledge, there was no such law and that they don't pay overtime in any of their Ma. stores.
I repeated that there were laws and that I hope they wouldn't hold that against me when I proved him wrong.
I felt this was two strikes against them. First that the company is trying illegally to not pay Sunday o.t. . The second strike was the fact that he couldn't promise me a regular day off- blaming his boss. Most of the time when I've brought this up it got nowhere near a deal breaker , usually the reply was 'we can work that out.'
Third strike was he mentioned SEVERAL times he mentioned policies that he PERSONALLY didn't seem to agree with but that his boss made him enforce. I felt this showed little backbone in his part and that he'd be pretty likely to rat me out. This included not only NOT promising me a regular day off but the reason that we didn't have seats. He mentioned HE would have no problems with us having seats but that his boss does, and if WE were caught with the seats... the regional boss would right us up and if the regional saw us with the seat AND the manager he'd also write up the manager. I felt this was showing the manager values his own skin above all else. I can understand his thinking that- but I don't think he should be telling me that in an interview.
Forth strike was the fact that he would want me to sign something about meeting quotas. He mentioned that the quotas were unreasonable and NO ONE met the store goals HOWEVER not meeting the goals could be a fireable offense. He then pointed out that since nobody was making goal... so long as I was on par with the others I was ok. HOWEVER he felt he had to mention that at some time in the future- if THEY were all making goal, and I wasn't- that would be grounds to fire me.
I think it's really odd that a couple of days ago I wanted this job and now I fear I'll get it. I think it's a) I need/want money and the salary sounded good for retail b) I didn't know how scummy Nextel was.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home