Messages in Bottles

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Paranoid Little Monkey

Paranoid Little Monkey is my pet name for myself.

I say this because a) I'm paranoid b) I'm short and c) like most evolutionist, I'm a monkey.

One of the reasons I'm paranoid is because of stories like this. Basically companies are checking to make sure job applicants haven't been doing 'bad' stuff on their blog.

Naturally I checked for Staples and my name on Google. And glad I was that it wasn't on the first page( and as I write this I checked a bit deeper and still no mention of THIS blog) ... so I think I'm safe... but still makes me glad that I haven't mentioned the name of my current employer. I think it's sort of clear( to Bostonians) where I work... but I haven't mentioned the actual name of the Musuem or the company that runs the gift store on general principle, because even before the crank calls I started to get a little paranoid about 'stalking information' here. That's why, although I want to support the game store I work for, I don't have a link to it's web site.

I don't like being paranoid, as often it ends up stressing me out- like worrying about the sick day policy at work... as I don't get sick all that often, but still the policy, and the not telling others about the 'loophole' of the policy, bugs me. I did tell co-workers yesterday to 'get it in writing' and make sure they have a copy of everything in their folder. I told them not to mention they heard it from me, but since they were worried about the new policy, they should have the policy in their hands. Heck I started reciting what gets you a demerit( ala Hudsucker Proxy) from memory because I was paranoid enough to remember this crap( and my memory normally sucks).

In the end, I feel that my being paranoid is a product of the world that I live in.... With W. telling the american people that he can listen ( ala Big Brother) to any conversation he wants... to protect us from an adjective. I'm paranoid because my manager feels it's better to scare the whole store into coming in, rather then go after just the troublemakers. I'm paranoid that employers are checking blogs to make sure that the potential employee isn't going to blog stuff they don't like. Heck I shaved my beard off not because I got bored of it, but I started looking for a job and feared the beard wouldn't look neat and clean for prospective employers.
Then again...( smirk) what paranoid person would tell you that they were paranoid because they were insane and NOT because of the world they live in?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home