10 for ME, 5 for you!
A while ago I asked Hippybngstockng for the FIVE QUESTIONS... and she forgot to give me them... So the next time she did the FIVE Questions, I told her that I would still like some. She realized that I was 'owed' so she gave me 10 Questions... which I answer below.
Usual rules apply. If you want to be interviewed with 5 questions, reply to this post. I reserve the right to tag back( means if you're not hippybngstockng, and you ask me to ask you 5 questions- I might then ask you to ask me 5 questions back) and no backsies( meaning after you answer my five and then I answer your five, you can't then ask me for another 5 until this meme comes round again... don't want an endless back and forth).
Hope I answered them right... I found the answer to 4 today as I was off and it was raining and then just wanted to polish this off, so it might read a bit rough as I took more time to answer some questions then I did others...
1.Driver or Passenger? Why?
Ok this is the easiest damn question. Passenger as I don’t know how to drive. I grew up in NYC where a car was a luxury item. In freshman year of college, while one of my cousins was showing off his car on back roads of Ma.- he swerved out of the way of an animal into an oncoming telephone post. I lost most of that weekend and for months later I worked glass out of my skull… See my head went into the side window and the doctors ended up leaving some glass in. I doubt I still have glass in my skin… but I might.
So for years I was very afraid of cars. I’m still a bit afraid and even prefer to go to places where I can get home on my own, should the driver have a little too much.
So on the one hand I’d prefer to drive myself and have CONTROL- on the other hand cars scare me.
2. What's your favorite method of getting your Science Fiction, and why?
Books. I love books. I have many books. Through much of my life I’ve read about 1 a week though there are of course times when a book is HUGE or when life demands more attention…. Books are easier to digest then TV and Movies; they don’t make so many demands save for vocabulary (which they actually help, if you spend the time to look things up ;-) ). Which is to say I’m able to commute with a book- not so with Firefly or Serenity.
It also costs the author NOTHING to add another scene or “special effect”. To use an example, I remember after seeing the movie Wrath of Khan, I read the book by Vonda McIntyre and I remember the added depth of the characters in the written word. Heck, it helped set up Search for Spock as we read that Saavik put Spock’s body in a deteriorating orbit around Genesis.
I love my books.
3. How would you describe your live-journal habits?
Hmm… HABITS is the key word here. I think my habits are erratic. I blog when I feel the need to share, either because I’m angry or just being social with my net friends. I know I try to not edit myself and be true. I feel that the purpose of the blog is to vent and share; and neither goal can be accomplished by large edits. I’m more likely to change the names of the guilty then I am to clean up my language.
So I blog when I have time( nights or days off) and I feel the need. I refuse to blog from work, because I’d fear someone finding my blog. I don’t want to edit myself and that means not sharing with co-workers…
4. If you could force everyone on the planet to read one comic book, which one would it be and why? (single issue, not a full series or book)
Ok, this reminds me of your husband asking me about ONE story line. ;-)
And when I asked him to pick ONE Star Trek episode, he mentioned like 5… and there are thousands of times more single issues of comics then episodes of Star Trek.
I will say this- as I start, I already know the issue would have to be from years ago- as all too often these days you have ‘multi issue story arcs’ at the expense of nice simple self contained issues. And will also say, was tempted to pick a “classic illustrated”- which was a comic book line where they turned great works of literature into comics- because if I have to force everyone to read something- it might as well be something IMPORTANT, but I felt that would be cheating.
This question in fact is the reason that it’s taken soo darn long for me to finish as I wanted to read a couple of comics in my collection to confirm.
And in the end I went with what my gut told me was one of the best stories told in a single comic- but I had to be sure. ;-)
Sandman #31- Three Septembers and a January; written by Neil Gaiman and drawn by Shawn McManus. It is the story of Emperor Norton the First. I was very happy to have found my (signed) copy today and read it. It holds up as a wonderful story that goes beyond guys in tights beating each other up. It’s a nice ‘morality’ play if you will. Despair calls up her brother Dream and asks him to compete in a contest to see if Dream can keep Norton from Despair, Delirium or Desire before Death comes to take him. I won’t spoil it by saying who wins ;-) just that I loved how it played out… And that this story is ‘based’ upon a real person. There really was a Joshua Norton who proclaimed himself Emperor of the Untied States. So not only do you have a very interesting story but you have historical hooks for people to look up more about Norton the First and his ‘official’ scribe a guy by the name of Samuel Clemens aka Mark Twain ( and the story does mention the celebrated jumping frog.
I will admit that it does say “suggested for mature readers” but being a bachelor with no kids I don’t see a problem letting a 10 year old read it. Certainly it has less sex than current Marvel comics.
But the art adds to the story and the story is wonderful.
5. You're suddenly dead. What's written on your head stone?
Was going to be snarky- as I decided I wanted to be cremated and shot into outer space ala James Doohan, but what I’d want on my head stone.
Drew Harris- Nice Guy.
I want to be remembered as a nice guy. I try hard to do nice things for people.
6. What one thing could you point to at this moment that you would say has changed you the most as a person over time?
This is a tough question. As a believer in the ripple effect I feel I should choose something that ages ago and thus affected me more then something that happened a year ago.
I’d like to pick going back to school for my graduate degree… but the sad fact is that has yet to really affect my life as I still do the crappy retail shuffle. Another part feels I should pick the moment when I decided to not eat beef and pork- but alas and alack, while I still don’t eat beef and pork- I’m still Drew.
And that philosophically, is the rub. I feel that after most of my choices I still remain me! Whether that is good or bad, it simply is.
In the end I’ve decided on the first time I hung up on my father. While I still would LIKE to get his approval, and love, I realize at that point that a) I prolly wasn’t going to get it and b) I could indeed live without my father being in my life- not because he died, but because I don’t have to deal with his crap.
Sadly I still have contact with him, and his current wife, and thus deal with my father’s crap but after that moment- I’ve tried harder not to internalize what he says. That just because my father says something doesn’t make it true and I don’t have to live my life trying to make him happy… as nothing I do ever will.
7. What's your favorite mode of transportation and why?
My feet. I love walking. When I went to Amsterdam this summer- that’s how I got around. I most likely spent more time walking around Amsterdam then I did in the museums… I like walking.
8. Coffee or Tea or alternate beverage?
Water, damn it water! I have been on a diet for like a year… and I got rid of my sweet, sweet soda and replaced it with WATER. UGH. I’ve found that water “tastes” better cold, but every so often I miss TASTE.
Then again, after water is BEER. ;-)
9. Where would you like to be in ten years?
Working a job that I like with people who I don’t mind dealing with for 8 to 10 hours a day. I want to be working in a Library helping people get the books they want and learning stuff. Ideally I’d be working in a College Library and taking some comped classes on the side( maybe having earned another bachelors in 10 years time).
I’d’ve also liked to have met Adj and Kel( again) and of course my friend Evan in Ca. by that time… esp as a) I promised Evan I’d meet him next year and b) I’m trying to work a way so I can get to Toronto some time next year as well…
10. If you could go back and talk to yourself at the age of 5, what would you say?
This is VERY interesting and touchy. If you let me go back to 15 or even 10, I’d try to sneak in stock advice( Microsoft) or comic books( buy as many Hulk 181s as you can), but 5 year old me… well he gets the more important life lessons he needs.
I’d first tell him that our parents love us. They may have weird ways of showing it, but just because Dad left Mom doesn’t mean he hasn’t stopped loving us or Jon (my older brother). Our parents love us… and won’t stop.
Next, Dad’s girlfriend… well she doesn’t really like us. Be nice to her, but don’t pin your hopes on getting her approval or love. Help Mom more, she needs it. She may be a little overbearing but that’s her way now- she cares.
Which leads into Jon; just because he does or doesn’t do something doesn’t make it cool or uncool. I know right now we might look up to him (I forget how I actually felt at 5 to him), but later we’ll come to hate it. What’s important is to do something because YOU want to- not to be like Jon or be different then Jon…
Another Jon thing. Try to stay out of his way. He’s taking our parent’s breakup worse then we are. He’s gonna take out on you. Don’t give him an excuse. That said, he’s admitted that Grandma wouldn’t let him get away with stuff. So when and if he hits you for NO DARN REASON- and I mean you didn’t sneak into his room or something… but for no reason- tell Grandma. Explain to her the fact that Jon is around you more then your Dad or Mom… and this is NO BAD REFLECTION on Mom and Dad- you know they’re working hard… it’s just Jon is around more then them and he scares you. Don’t tell Grandma this if you don’t mean it, but if it gets bad- tell her. Again Jon has already said she won’t take his guff… And maybe if she talks to Mom, something good will happen. That said, if you don’t feel comfortable talking to Grandma, ok- just know again that you’re loved, and Jon isn’t angry at YOU- he’s angry at the world… you’re just there.
Which leads to- I know we love books and Dad publishes books- so that’s a way to get his approval… But it’s nice outside. You don’t have to play sports to win- because I know we’re clumsy, but that said- I just started working out and I feel good about it. You will too… Playing is fun even if you’re not good… and you’re not gonna get better unless you keep at it. You don’t have to compete with Jon and try to be better then him- or join any sports team. Just try and have fun.
And that’s the most important thing I want to tell you- have fun. Try to enjoy your childhood. Central Park is right across the street- It’s nice and you’re only gonna be young once.
I think we’ve started to read comics- so start reading Flash. I know Superman is bigger and stronger… so we like think he’ll protect us from everything…. But Barry Allen is really cooler then Kal El and his stories are just as fun. If you can find Flash- try it out.
And oh yeah I know I just told you to have fun BUT if you can keep a G.I. Joe with Kung Fu Grip in a box, in good condition; I’d appreciate it. Likewise, on the Flash thing- if you ever see the Mego Kid Flash… try and get mom, dad or grandpa to get it for you… Kid Flash is kewl
Usual rules apply. If you want to be interviewed with 5 questions, reply to this post. I reserve the right to tag back( means if you're not hippybngstockng, and you ask me to ask you 5 questions- I might then ask you to ask me 5 questions back) and no backsies( meaning after you answer my five and then I answer your five, you can't then ask me for another 5 until this meme comes round again... don't want an endless back and forth).
Hope I answered them right... I found the answer to 4 today as I was off and it was raining and then just wanted to polish this off, so it might read a bit rough as I took more time to answer some questions then I did others...
1.Driver or Passenger? Why?
Ok this is the easiest damn question. Passenger as I don’t know how to drive. I grew up in NYC where a car was a luxury item. In freshman year of college, while one of my cousins was showing off his car on back roads of Ma.- he swerved out of the way of an animal into an oncoming telephone post. I lost most of that weekend and for months later I worked glass out of my skull… See my head went into the side window and the doctors ended up leaving some glass in. I doubt I still have glass in my skin… but I might.
So for years I was very afraid of cars. I’m still a bit afraid and even prefer to go to places where I can get home on my own, should the driver have a little too much.
So on the one hand I’d prefer to drive myself and have CONTROL- on the other hand cars scare me.
2. What's your favorite method of getting your Science Fiction, and why?
Books. I love books. I have many books. Through much of my life I’ve read about 1 a week though there are of course times when a book is HUGE or when life demands more attention…. Books are easier to digest then TV and Movies; they don’t make so many demands save for vocabulary (which they actually help, if you spend the time to look things up ;-) ). Which is to say I’m able to commute with a book- not so with Firefly or Serenity.
It also costs the author NOTHING to add another scene or “special effect”. To use an example, I remember after seeing the movie Wrath of Khan, I read the book by Vonda McIntyre and I remember the added depth of the characters in the written word. Heck, it helped set up Search for Spock as we read that Saavik put Spock’s body in a deteriorating orbit around Genesis.
I love my books.
3. How would you describe your live-journal habits?
Hmm… HABITS is the key word here. I think my habits are erratic. I blog when I feel the need to share, either because I’m angry or just being social with my net friends. I know I try to not edit myself and be true. I feel that the purpose of the blog is to vent and share; and neither goal can be accomplished by large edits. I’m more likely to change the names of the guilty then I am to clean up my language.
So I blog when I have time( nights or days off) and I feel the need. I refuse to blog from work, because I’d fear someone finding my blog. I don’t want to edit myself and that means not sharing with co-workers…
4. If you could force everyone on the planet to read one comic book, which one would it be and why? (single issue, not a full series or book)
Ok, this reminds me of your husband asking me about ONE story line. ;-)
And when I asked him to pick ONE Star Trek episode, he mentioned like 5… and there are thousands of times more single issues of comics then episodes of Star Trek.
I will say this- as I start, I already know the issue would have to be from years ago- as all too often these days you have ‘multi issue story arcs’ at the expense of nice simple self contained issues. And will also say, was tempted to pick a “classic illustrated”- which was a comic book line where they turned great works of literature into comics- because if I have to force everyone to read something- it might as well be something IMPORTANT, but I felt that would be cheating.
This question in fact is the reason that it’s taken soo darn long for me to finish as I wanted to read a couple of comics in my collection to confirm.
And in the end I went with what my gut told me was one of the best stories told in a single comic- but I had to be sure. ;-)
Sandman #31- Three Septembers and a January; written by Neil Gaiman and drawn by Shawn McManus. It is the story of Emperor Norton the First. I was very happy to have found my (signed) copy today and read it. It holds up as a wonderful story that goes beyond guys in tights beating each other up. It’s a nice ‘morality’ play if you will. Despair calls up her brother Dream and asks him to compete in a contest to see if Dream can keep Norton from Despair, Delirium or Desire before Death comes to take him. I won’t spoil it by saying who wins ;-) just that I loved how it played out… And that this story is ‘based’ upon a real person. There really was a Joshua Norton who proclaimed himself Emperor of the Untied States. So not only do you have a very interesting story but you have historical hooks for people to look up more about Norton the First and his ‘official’ scribe a guy by the name of Samuel Clemens aka Mark Twain ( and the story does mention the celebrated jumping frog.
I will admit that it does say “suggested for mature readers” but being a bachelor with no kids I don’t see a problem letting a 10 year old read it. Certainly it has less sex than current Marvel comics.
But the art adds to the story and the story is wonderful.
5. You're suddenly dead. What's written on your head stone?
Was going to be snarky- as I decided I wanted to be cremated and shot into outer space ala James Doohan, but what I’d want on my head stone.
Drew Harris- Nice Guy.
I want to be remembered as a nice guy. I try hard to do nice things for people.
6. What one thing could you point to at this moment that you would say has changed you the most as a person over time?
This is a tough question. As a believer in the ripple effect I feel I should choose something that ages ago and thus affected me more then something that happened a year ago.
I’d like to pick going back to school for my graduate degree… but the sad fact is that has yet to really affect my life as I still do the crappy retail shuffle. Another part feels I should pick the moment when I decided to not eat beef and pork- but alas and alack, while I still don’t eat beef and pork- I’m still Drew.
And that philosophically, is the rub. I feel that after most of my choices I still remain me! Whether that is good or bad, it simply is.
In the end I’ve decided on the first time I hung up on my father. While I still would LIKE to get his approval, and love, I realize at that point that a) I prolly wasn’t going to get it and b) I could indeed live without my father being in my life- not because he died, but because I don’t have to deal with his crap.
Sadly I still have contact with him, and his current wife, and thus deal with my father’s crap but after that moment- I’ve tried harder not to internalize what he says. That just because my father says something doesn’t make it true and I don’t have to live my life trying to make him happy… as nothing I do ever will.
7. What's your favorite mode of transportation and why?
My feet. I love walking. When I went to Amsterdam this summer- that’s how I got around. I most likely spent more time walking around Amsterdam then I did in the museums… I like walking.
8. Coffee or Tea or alternate beverage?
Water, damn it water! I have been on a diet for like a year… and I got rid of my sweet, sweet soda and replaced it with WATER. UGH. I’ve found that water “tastes” better cold, but every so often I miss TASTE.
Then again, after water is BEER. ;-)
9. Where would you like to be in ten years?
Working a job that I like with people who I don’t mind dealing with for 8 to 10 hours a day. I want to be working in a Library helping people get the books they want and learning stuff. Ideally I’d be working in a College Library and taking some comped classes on the side( maybe having earned another bachelors in 10 years time).
I’d’ve also liked to have met Adj and Kel( again) and of course my friend Evan in Ca. by that time… esp as a) I promised Evan I’d meet him next year and b) I’m trying to work a way so I can get to Toronto some time next year as well…
10. If you could go back and talk to yourself at the age of 5, what would you say?
This is VERY interesting and touchy. If you let me go back to 15 or even 10, I’d try to sneak in stock advice( Microsoft) or comic books( buy as many Hulk 181s as you can), but 5 year old me… well he gets the more important life lessons he needs.
I’d first tell him that our parents love us. They may have weird ways of showing it, but just because Dad left Mom doesn’t mean he hasn’t stopped loving us or Jon (my older brother). Our parents love us… and won’t stop.
Next, Dad’s girlfriend… well she doesn’t really like us. Be nice to her, but don’t pin your hopes on getting her approval or love. Help Mom more, she needs it. She may be a little overbearing but that’s her way now- she cares.
Which leads into Jon; just because he does or doesn’t do something doesn’t make it cool or uncool. I know right now we might look up to him (I forget how I actually felt at 5 to him), but later we’ll come to hate it. What’s important is to do something because YOU want to- not to be like Jon or be different then Jon…
Another Jon thing. Try to stay out of his way. He’s taking our parent’s breakup worse then we are. He’s gonna take out on you. Don’t give him an excuse. That said, he’s admitted that Grandma wouldn’t let him get away with stuff. So when and if he hits you for NO DARN REASON- and I mean you didn’t sneak into his room or something… but for no reason- tell Grandma. Explain to her the fact that Jon is around you more then your Dad or Mom… and this is NO BAD REFLECTION on Mom and Dad- you know they’re working hard… it’s just Jon is around more then them and he scares you. Don’t tell Grandma this if you don’t mean it, but if it gets bad- tell her. Again Jon has already said she won’t take his guff… And maybe if she talks to Mom, something good will happen. That said, if you don’t feel comfortable talking to Grandma, ok- just know again that you’re loved, and Jon isn’t angry at YOU- he’s angry at the world… you’re just there.
Which leads to- I know we love books and Dad publishes books- so that’s a way to get his approval… But it’s nice outside. You don’t have to play sports to win- because I know we’re clumsy, but that said- I just started working out and I feel good about it. You will too… Playing is fun even if you’re not good… and you’re not gonna get better unless you keep at it. You don’t have to compete with Jon and try to be better then him- or join any sports team. Just try and have fun.
And that’s the most important thing I want to tell you- have fun. Try to enjoy your childhood. Central Park is right across the street- It’s nice and you’re only gonna be young once.
I think we’ve started to read comics- so start reading Flash. I know Superman is bigger and stronger… so we like think he’ll protect us from everything…. But Barry Allen is really cooler then Kal El and his stories are just as fun. If you can find Flash- try it out.
And oh yeah I know I just told you to have fun BUT if you can keep a G.I. Joe with Kung Fu Grip in a box, in good condition; I’d appreciate it. Likewise, on the Flash thing- if you ever see the Mego Kid Flash… try and get mom, dad or grandpa to get it for you… Kid Flash is kewl


1 Comments:
At 8/29/2006 09:46:00 PM,
Angie said…
Cool answers Drew! No questions for me this go 'round as I'm not good with the whole reciprocal thing, but I enjoyed your answers.
Aimee
Post a Comment
<< Home